Our Fellowship will provide two young people with a unique platform to advocate for strong gun laws through New York-based media, educate and mobilize young people in Manhattan communities, and strengthen bonds between the emerging youth movement and existing networks of advocates and survivors in New York City and beyond. Applicants must be personally affected by gun violence in their schools, communities, or families.
The Fellowship is an ideal opportunity for an independent self-starter to create a meaningful summer experience tailored toward their unique strengths. Fellows will be based in the Community Partnerships Unit, and will be able to draw on resources and opportunities across the Office, including but not limited to the Crime Strategies Unit, Legislative Affairs, Communications, and the Manhattan DA Academy.
At the end of the program, Fellows will present innovative, youth-focused legislative or policy solutions to address gun violence based on the insight gained during their time at the DA’s Office.
- Applicants can be current college students, or young adults on track to graduate high school or complete their GED by Summer 2018.
- Current college students must commit to attend the entire program from May 29, 2018 – August 3, 2018.
- Those who will graduate high school or obtain a GED in 2018 must commit to attend the entire program from July 5, 2018 – August 10, 2018.
- Applicants must be personally affected by gun violence in their schools, communities, or families.
- A stipend will be provided.
- A one-page resume
- 300 to 500-word essay discussing (1) how you have been affected by gun violence, and (2) how you would use this Fellowship opportunity to advocate for strong gun laws and policies.
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or employer – may be uploaded by the student or emailed by the recommender to GCAFellowship@dany.nyc.gov.
Please read the application carefully and complete each field accurately. Make sure you put your last and first name in the appropriate boxes. Do not submit duplicate applications. Attach only Word or PDF documents. You will receive an automated confirmation email once your application has been submitted. We respond to all applications.
Applications must be submitted by April 20, 2018 at 5:00 pm (Eastern Time).
The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.