Our Fellowship will provide a unique platform to create and implement gun violence prevention policies and strategies. This could include educating and mobilizing young people in Manhattan communities around the issue of gun violence, advocating for strong gun laws through New York-based media, and strengthening bonds between the emerging youth movement and existing networks of advocates and survivors. Applicants must be personally affected by gun violence in their schools, communities, or families.
The Fellowship is an ideal opportunity for an independent self-starter to create a meaningful summer experience. Fellows will be based in the Community Partnerships Unit, and will be able to draw on resources and opportunities across the Office, including but not limited to the Crime Strategies Unit, Legislative Affairs, Communications, and the Manhattan DA Academy. At the end of the program, Fellows will present innovative, youth-focused policy or legislative solutions to address gun violence based on the insight gained during their time at the DA’s Office.
Email us with questions at GVPFellowship@dany.nyc.gov
- Applicants can be current college students, or young adults on track to graduate high school or complete their GED by Summer 2019.
- Current college students must commit to attend the entire program from Tuesday May 28, 2019 – Friday, August 2, 2019.
- Those who will graduate high school or obtain a GED in 2019 must commit to attend the entire program from July 8, 2019 – August 9, 2019.
- Applicants must be personally affected by gun violence in their communities, or families.
- A stipend will be provided.
- A one-page resume
- 300 to 500-word essay discussing (1) how you have been affected by gun violence, and (2) how you would use this Fellowship opportunity to advocate for more effective prevention strategies, policies and laws.
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or employer – may be uploaded by the student during the application process or emailed by the recommender to GVPFellowship@dany.nyc.gov
- All applications must be submitted by 5:00 pm (Eastern Standard Time) on March 1, 2019.
The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer