The Spanish Language Unit at the New York County District Attorney’s Office provides Spanish Language interpretation and translation services for the investigation and prosecution of criminal cases.
Under close supervision, qualified translator interns will have the opportunity to prepare preliminary translations bi-directionally into English and Spanish, and to proofread translations for accuracy. Translation materials may include legal documents, statements, and audio recordings. Interpreter interns will make use of their verbal skills by interpreting during in-house interviews, for which mature and tactful behavior is required. Interns will also use their analytical skills to screen and summarize Spanish audio recordings, in written or oral form, and will assist in the production of accurate preliminary transcriptions and translations, among other language-related tasks.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled as a junior or senior in college or in a graduate program or other higher education language related program.
- Applicants must possess a strong bi-cultural awareness as well as a strong ability to speak, write, and use idiomatic expressions and colloquialisms in both English and Spanish. (Prior knowledge of legal language is not required.)
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial transcript, including evidence of current enrollment
- Three academic and/or professional references
- Two sample translations (each source approximately 300 words): an English independent source translated into Spanish and a Spanish independent source translated into English
- As part of the interview process, interpretation internship candidates will be expected to interpret in a mock interrogation.
- Internships are available during the Fall (September – December), Spring (February – May) and Summer (June – August). A stipend or school credit is available.
- Applicants must commit to a complete term.
Applications for upcoming internship sessions will be screened during the following dates:
- Fall Term 2018 (Extended through August 10, 2018)
- Spring Term 2019 (October 9 – November 15, 2018)
- Summer Term 2019 (February 11 – April 12, 2019)
NOTE: As part of the interview process, candidates will be expected to interpret in a mock interrogation.
The New York County District Attorney’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer