“Congress has outsourced federal gun policy to the NRA. The only way to disrupt what has become ritual slaughter is with gun controls based on public health and safety, not on the business interests of a single industry. There is a reason why the United States is the only country where these atrocities happen regularly.
“Americans of all political stripes support the principles that Prosecutors Against Gun Violence has fought to advance since our founding in 2014. Leaders in Congress must now summon the courage to stand up for murdered children in communities across America.”
Prosecutors Against Gun Violence (PAGV) Policy Principles
- Rejecting federally mandated reciprocity, including the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act
- Eliminating bump stocks
- Achieving universal background checks
- Ensuring timely and effective transmission of prohibited persons data to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System
- Combatting illegal weapons trafficking by tightening federal and state anti-trafficking laws, limiting multiple gun sales, and supporting inspection and enforcement of licensed gun dealers
- Limiting access to guns by domestic violence perpetrators, and supporting gun dispossession protocols for domestic abusers
- Addressing the nexus between mental health and gun violence
- Preventing gun violence through youth and community outreach
- Using technology to more effectively enforce existing laws
- Requiring safe storage of firearms
Founded by District Attorney Vance and Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer, Prosecutors Against Gun Violence is an independent, nonpartisan coalition of big-city prosecutors working toward meaningful solutions to the national public emergency of gun violence. PAGV shares best practices for prosecuting gun offenders and fights for common-sense gun safety policies.